Organizations and Initiatives
- LASI 2014
- Apereo Foundation
- Apereo Foundation Learning Analytics Initiative
- Journal of Learning Analytics
- Improving the Quality & Productivity of the Higher Education Sector: Policy and Strategy for Systems-level Deployment of Learning Analytic’s (.pdf). (White Paper for Australian Government Office for Learning and Teaching)
- UNESCO Policy Brief: Learning Analytics (Simon Buckingham Shum, Nov. 2012)
- SoLAR Concept Paper: Open Learning Analytics (.pdf)
- Introductory text to the inaugural issue of the Journal for Learning Analytic’s.
- Introductory presentation about TinCan API and Sakai
- Learning Analytic’s Presentation material from the Apereo Conference (June 2014)
- Open Learning Analytic’s summit
Learning Analytics: Welcome to the future of assessment?
Education is about to experience a data tsunami from online trace data (VLEs; MOOCs; Quantified Self) integrated with conventional educational datasets. This requires new kinds of analytics to make sense of this new resource, which in turn asks us to reflect deeply on what kinds of learning we value. We can choose to know more than ever about learners and teachers, but like any modelling technology or accounting system, analytics do not passively describe sociotechnical reality: they begin to shape it. What realities do we want analytics to perpetuate, or bring into being? Can we talk about analytics in the same breath as the deepest values that a wholistic educational experience should nurture? Could analytics become an ally for those who want to shift assessment regimes towards valuing the qualities that many now regard as critical to thriving in the ‘age of complexity’?
The LTI 2 standard that allows you to build complex dashboards that can reside external to LMS’s, but actually appear as if they are part of the LMS: